The student news site of Center Hill High School.

The Pony Express

The Pony Express

The Pony Express

Volleyball’s senior night serves against Saltillo.

Stefany Sobotka

On Tuesday, October 3rd for their senior night, the varsity volleyball team defeated Saltillo High School, 25-19, 25-22, 25-17. It was the second meeting between the two 6A squads this season. Center Hill now sits 8-2 in district play.

While the game was full of action, the night’s main event was the recognition of the team’s senior players—Madison Conley, Adelaide Egner, McKenna Matthews, Rebecca Walker, and Maylee Willhite. After the game, Coach Veazey congratulated each player on a well-played match with nothing but uplifting comments.

“I think it was a really exciting night for them, and they couldn’t have played better,” expressed Veazey. “I felt like the atmosphere and the effort was the best we’ve played all year.”

The senior players’ leadership also impressed the volleyball coach. “I’m very proud of Madison, McKenna, and Rebecca. I think they’ve really shown leadership and just showed up and did what they’ve been doing all year.”

Racking up points with her sublime spiking, sophomore Ella Richardson was one of the standouts of the game, alongside Walker’s defense and  junior Nyre Tillman serves.

Thrilled with the outcome of defeating Saltillo, Egner raved about the team’s efforts. “I feel like we did really good, and I think it was a great game overall and not just like a game we knew we would win, we actually had to fight for it.”

Egner, though saddened by her departure, also expressed her excitement for what lies in her future. “It’s sad and depressing, but I’m happy that I’m moving on and going to bigger and greater things […] Honestly, I think everyone did a phenomenal job, but I would have to say I think Madison and Nyre played a great game tonight.”

Walker shared her heartwarming thoughts about the game and senior night as well. “It was very memorable, and I’m so thankful for the whole team and everybody that had a part of this night […]  I would say that Madison and McKenna for hitters stood out, and then definitely Nyre and Sophie for back row.”

After seeing the Lady Mustang’s teamwork against Saltillo, Walker believes they have a fighting chance to beat Desoto Central. “I feel like we all played very well, and we all had a lot of team chemistry. If we play like this on Thursday, then we’ll compete really well.” 

Sharing a similar belief, Coach Veazey explained the work was not done however.

“We’ll celebrate tonight and come back and have to get ready for the school game against Desoto Central. So we gotta get ready, and there’s not a lot of time.”

The CHHS volleyball team will be playing against Desoto Central High School this Thursday, October 5th during school. Students can purchase tickets during lunch in the cafeteria.