The student news site of Center Hill High School.

The Pony Express

The Pony Express

The Pony Express

Procrastination can increase students’ stress; what strategies can help you overcome it?

Tommy Williamson

Oh, the dreaded topic of procrastination; it’s something many of us struggle with, myself included. According to the Oxford English Dictionary dictionary, procrastination is “the action or habit of postponing or putting something off,” although many might even consider it an art form. While it may provide temporary relief, it often leads to stress and poor outcomes.

First and foremost, procrastination can have a negative impact on our productivity. When we delay tasks, we end up rushing to complete them, which can result in subpar work. Additionally, procrastination can lead to increased stress levels as deadlines loom closer. The pressure to finish everything in a short amount of time can be overwhelming.

Moreover, procrastination can hinder personal growth and development. By constantly putting off tasks, we miss out on opportunities for learning and improvement. It becomes a cycle where we delay tasks, feel guilty about it, and then struggle to break free from the habit.

But fear not, there are strategies to overcome procrastination.

One effective approach is to break tasks into smaller, manageable chunks. By tackling smaller portions at a time, the workload feels less overwhelming.

Additionally, setting specific goals and deadlines can provide a sense of structure and motivation. It’s also helpful to identify and address the underlying reasons for procrastination, such failure or perfectionism. 

At the end of the day, we’re all a work in progress when it comes to conquering procrastination. It takes time and effort to develop better habits. So let’s take it one step at a time and strive for progress, not perfection! You’ve got this!