The student news site of Center Hill High School.

The Pony Express

The Pony Express

The Pony Express

Opinion: New morning routines force car riders to tan and play dodgeball.

Staphina Jones

With the start of the new 2023-2024 school year, drastic new changes have been implemented. The most controversial change was the bus and car rider flip.

Car riders must now tan as they wait for their parents to pick them up after school, as they stand in the scorching hot sun, where the buses were once located. With the excessive heat currently blazing across the entire country, outside activities are even getting canceled.

Meanwhile, bus riders have the luxury of standing underneath the nice cool shade as their buses wait for them to get on. If it wasn’t bad enough for car riders, they must now wait in the gym in the morning before dismissal to their first block classes.

Why does this matter?

Who else occupies the gym every morning? The volleyball team, which practices first block. Sleepy car riders are now facing challenges first thing each day—having to dodge every volleyball that comes their way. I’m sure volleyball players don’t feel comfortable practicing in front of half of the school either.

While this may seem like a fun idea to wake kids up, it’s not so much fun when they are sitting ducks on the bleachers. Making it hard for them to dodge the volleyballs. As a victim who has been hit, it’s not the greatest way to start your day.

Do I think writing this story will make things go back to the way they were?

No, unfortunately, I do not. However, I see this as a way to bring change to the school. For improvements to be made. Just because I don’t agree with the bus and car rider flip, doesn’t mean it can’t be worked upon and fixed. To be fair, this is the first year they have implemented the switch, so not everything was going to be perfect.

There’s a quote I like by Nicholas Klein. I feel that it’s relevant to this story. It reads, “First they ignore you. Then they ridicule you. And then they attack you and want to burn you. And then they build monuments to you.” In my interpretation, the monuments in this situation are the changes they will make long after I have graduated. While some parts of the quote aren’t to be taken literally, others are.

Will the administration bring any changes to this issue? I hope so, but for now, it’s up to the students whether or not they want change to be brought. My part has been done.