The student news site of Center Hill High School.

The Pony Express

The Pony Express

The Pony Express

Started from bottom; cheer team places 2nd at state.

​Three years ago the Center Hill High School cheer team was ranked 15 out of 16 in the state of Mississippi.
The Mustang

​Three years ago the Center Hill High School cheer team was ranked 15 out of 16 in the state of Mississippi. In 2014,, CHHS Cheer received 3rd in the state and this past year, they were runner-up state champions. Over the course of three years, they went from second to last place to second in the state. How did they do it? What obstacles did they overcome to finally make a name for themselves?

“Dedication,” Mrs. Cohea said. It can make or break a team, and this year the cheer team was more motivated than they have ever been. “We had our mind set on winning state and every practice we pushed ourselves to be the best we could be,” said Mrs. Frederic who is “so proud to be a part of a team made up of an amazing group of girls.” The road to state was long and hard with four hour practices, four days a week. “It was totally worth it,” says Emma Lee, who is a sophomore on the cheer team, “not only did the practices prepare us for competition, but they also brought us closer as a team and made us realize how much we really wanted to win.”

The seniors played a prominent role in the team’s success. Cori Glaude, Erica Soldan, Rachel Wright, and Catarina Coleman all went the extra mile to ensure that the team reached their full potential. “They were more like sisters than seniors, and they were really motivational,” said Sarah Fiveash. “It was great to see that our hard work paid off,” said Cori Glaude, who is overjoyed by her team’s success.

The girls are optimistic about what next year brings for the team. “I’m really looking forward to bonding and getting to grow closer as a family,” said Malia Rowe, an upcoming senior, “[and] hopefully using us getting second as an extra push to winning first this year!”

Author’s note: On every cheer squad, there will be drama and quarrels, but it’s the teams who are able to put their differences aside and work together as one that can conquer all. As a cheerleader myself, I can honestly say that I have never been on a team that was so determined prove to everyone what we are capable of. I can’t wait to see what the future holds for CHHS Cheer.