The student news site of Center Hill High School.

The Pony Express

The Pony Express

The Pony Express

Opinion: You can hide behind the screen, but you can’t hide the damage.

*click* *click* Send.

Words typed out of anger and thoughtlessness.

A rush of adrenaline from knowing that no one can stop you. The power is completely in your hands to unleash your darkest emotions about that one person. Arrogantly, you ignore the consequences, the effects of those hateful words on a person’s heart, mind, and esteem.

You may be able to hide behind the screen, but you cannot hide the damage, the emotional torrent that you have caused.

Cy·ber·bul·ly·ing (noun): the use of electronic communication to bully a person, typically by sending messages of an intimidating or threatening nature.

I never realized the severity of cyberbullying until it happened to me. Upon my realization, I became burdened with the fact that this was fairly common. I began interviewing people who were brave enough to share their stories.

The whole time I felt like I had no control…she kept going. I just wanted it to stop.” Unfortunately, she did not know how to stop it. She could not confront the person because the tormenting took place online. The situation began four months ago and is still going on today.

Several others contributed as well.

“It brought down my self-esteem.”

“They didn’t like me… they liked the idea of hurting me.”

Cyberbullying does happen, and it is not a joke. Be cautious of what you send to people. Words can cut deeper than a knife and have detrimental repercussions. If you are a victim of cyberbullying, do not be afraid to come forward. You are not alone.