The student news site of Center Hill High School.

The Pony Express

The Pony Express

The Pony Express

Opinion: Perfectionism isn’t healthy, and social media isn’t helping.

Is perfectionism an attainable or desirable goal?

Perfection has a deeper root in all humans and starts at a very young age. Perfectionism is also linked to the downfall of gifted children, called the “gifted child burnout.” Growing up, these children receive massive praise from their peers and onlookers but fail to keep up with the demands and expectations of everyone around them. These kids soon become depressed and stressed out.

Since the beginning of time, society has had ideal traits for everything so that everything could be “perfect.” The traits are almost impossible if not so. Social media has totally changed the way society sees women and how they should look and how they should act. Women should be skinny, soft spoken, delicate. These things aren’t very healthy for the women who aren’t these things, this is actually awful for mental and physical health.The CDC has also issued reports showing that rates of suicide among young people jumped 56% between 2007 and 2016, after declining between 1999 and 2007. Men aren’t safe from the abuse either. Toxic masculinity is very real and affects many young boys to this day.