Band marches through competition season with cowboy-themed show

The marching band is closing in on the state competition with a show about a wandering horse.

“It is called Thunderhoof and it is about a horse who is caught by cowboys and soon escapes, only to realize that being captured was better because he was cared for by the cowboys and then returns to the cowboys,” sophomore Ava Rich said.

Rich, who plays the bass and gong, is one of more than 100 members of the marching band. They’ve been rehearsing the half-time show and competition number all semester, winning numerous awards as they prepare for state. 

“The band has done really well this season and they are always doing better as practice progresses,” Director Jared Ross said. “So far we have won in every division that is available for our band.”

The Mustangs competed in the Arlington High School marching band competition Sept. 21. In Class AAA, the band won first place Overall, Field Commander, Color Guard and Percussion. In the Gold Division, the band won first place Overall and Field Commander.

On Sept. 28 at the Conquistador Classic Marching Band Contest at Olive Branch High School, the Mustangs won first place Band, second place Color Guard and second place Percussion in Class AA. In the Blue Division, they were first place Overall Band. The band earned second in Color Guard, Percussion and Outstanding Music Performance.

In Class AA at the Southern Stars Invitational at Lewisburg High School on Oct. 5, the Mustangs won first place Band, Color Guard and Percussion. In the Red Division, they were first in Band, Color Guard, Percussion, Outstanding in Music, Visual Performance and General Effect, and named the sixth Overall Band.

On Oct. 12 at the State Marching Band Evaluations at Grenada High School, the band earned all superior ratings. The state competition will be Nov. 2 in Pearl, where Ross said their biggest rivals in 5A will be South Jones and South Panola high schools.

“We have done decent this season and we have a lot of trophies that we have won,” Rich said. “The band’s goal is to either win state or make top five.”

Jordan Holland, a sophomore who plays the snare drum, said he hopes the band is ready for state.

“The percussion section does not have a goal,” Holland said. “We just want to achieve at the highest of our ability.”