CHHS ranked fifth in state, second in district

• Center Hill High School has been rated an “A” school multiple times by the Mississippi Department of Education. In accountability ratings approved Sept. 19 by the state board of education, CHHS is the fifth best public high school in Mississippi and the second highest ranked high school in DeSoto County behind Hernando.

This is a developing story.

For the seventh year in a row, Center Hill High School has received an “A” ranking by the Mississippi Department of Education. It is the fifth best high school in the state and also the second-highest ranking high school in DeSoto County behind Hernando.

“This is definitely a team effort,” Principal Doug Payne said. “Every teacher, staff member and student in this school has put the work in, and it is nice to know that hard work has paid off and is being recognized.”

After weeks of speculation, accountability results were approved by the state board of education Sept. 19. Among other things, the high school rankings are based on graduation rates and state test scores in Algebra I, Biology I, English II and U.S. History from the 2018-2019 school year. CHHS has been a top-rated school since 2009-2010, which predates Mississippi’s current A-F rating system.

Ahead of the official announcement, Superintendent Cory Uselton said on Twitter that DeSoto County Schools would be an A-ranked school district.

“Only 9 districts in MS have achieved this honor the last 4 years in a row,” Uselton tweeted. “Congratulations to our students, teachers, administrators, staff & parents! It is a team effort!” 

Despite the top ranking, Payne said there is still work to be done.

“Of course, we do not want to become complacent,” he said. “We know that we have to continue to do better each day to continue to raise the bar. However, yeah, to be ranked fifth out of 142 schools in the state and to be ranked second only to Hernando in the district feels good and needs to be celebrated.”

Staff writer Matthew Collins contributed to this report.