The student news site of Center Hill High School.

The Pony Express

The Pony Express

The Pony Express

Students prefer their appearance in mirrors over photographs, but why?

Cheyanne Cruse
Kristan Jackson is a staff reporter for The Pony Express and The Mustang.

Do you prefer the way you look in mirrors or in photos? After polling several students around the school, the majority of students favored mirrors, but why is that?

Many people tend to prefer how they look in mirrors compared to photos. One reason for this is that mirrors provide a real-time reflection of ourselves, allowing us to adjust and see ourselves exactly as we are used to. Mirrors provide a three-dimensional representation of ourselves, allowing us to see depth and dimension. We can experiment with different angles, poses, and expressions, giving us a sense of control over our appearance.

In contrast, photos capture a single moment frozen in time, often without the time to make those adjustments that you could in the mirror. This can lead to a perception that we look different or less flattering in photos.

Photos, on the other hand, flatten our image into a two-dimensional plane. This can sometimes make certain features appear different or less pronounced, leading to a perception of dissatisfaction with our appearance in photos.

A way to battle this is to try to have more movement while you’re taking photos so it could add a level of. You still may prefer how you look in mirrors, but at least you’ll like yourself better in photos.

A lot of people picked mirrors, but which one would you pick? Mirrors, photos, or do you prefer both?