The student news site of Center Hill High School.

The Pony Express

The Pony Express

The Pony Express

Can the 2022 FIFA World Cup surpass its controversial location?

Markus Spiske
Photo by Markus Spiske on Unsplash

The World Cup is an international soccer tournament that happens every four years, and the 2022 one is the most recent and the most popular. It gained its popularity from social media platforms like Instagram and TikTok with videos and edits of the players. Because of this, the World Cup final was the “most-watched men’s telecast in English-language history,” according to Fox.com.

The 2022 FIFA World Cup was one to remember, but is it the best? Many would say yes, while others would disagree.

So let’s look at the different sides of both arguments and discuss them.

The majority of people loved this world cup and believed it was the best one so far. Even the FIFA chief, Gianni Infantino, agrees with this, saying, “The World Cup has been an incredible success on all fronts,” and emphasizing the “transformative legacy of this World Cup.” Others agree that this was the best World Cup with fans from all over the world communing together to support their country’s team, mixing many cultures together for celebratory fun.

All of this is great, but, of course, there are some critics.

The crux of the issue regarding this year’s World Cup for many is its location: the country of Qatar. When the World Cup is hosted in these countries, usually they must build new stadiums specifically for this event, which is exactly what Qatar did. The problem with this practice? Many workers died building the stadiums. In an article for The Guardian, Jim Murphy explained, “People don’t have to die to bring us this or any other World Cup or sporting event.”

Another reason for the critics is because it’s been speculated that it was rigged for the Argentina national team to win. In a Twitter thread, a user by the name @laligafrauds shared quotes from some of the officials in the World Cup. In one Tweet, he quotes Hasan Al Thawadi: “Seeing Messi lift the trophy in what could be his last World Cup could be something really special for us organizers.”

Whether you liked it or hated it, the World Cup had its pros and cons, and people will always have something good or bad to say.