The student news site of Center Hill High School.

The Pony Express

The Pony Express

The Pony Express

Q&A with January’s Teacher of the Month, Case Ingram.

Case Ingram was named Januarys Teacher of the Month.
Holland Studios
Case Ingram was named January’s Teacher of the Month.

Question: What was your reaction to being named Teacher of the Month?

Ingram: I was very honored to have received the award. Center Hill is filled with great teachers and to be recognized as one of them is truly an honor.

Question: What made you want to be a teacher in the first place?

Ingram: I became a teacher and coach to make a difference. The world is constantly telling our youth the wrong way to do everything. I know I have been called to teach and coach to positively impact the students and staff I come in contact with each and every day.

Question: What is the most challenging thing about being a teacher?

Ingram: The most challenging thing about being a teacher is answering the question, “Why?” Students always want to know: “Why do I need to learn this?”, “Why do we have to take notes?”, or “Why do I have to do it this way or that way?”

Often times, I think teachers just give the “teacher” answers of: “Because I said so,” “Because it’s part of the class,” “Because the curriculum says so,” et cetera.

Teachers can’t assume students will be interested or engaged in learning because they are at school. As teachers, we must constantly strive to teach our students the answer of why. If we aren’t connecting the information to the student’s daily life and/or presenting the information in different avenues, we, as teachers, are failing our students.

Question: How has teaching changed your life?

Ingram: Teaching gives my life purpose. I know everyday when I get up there are students who are depending on me. I may be the only positive influence in a student’s daily life. I may be the only person to ask them how their day is going. Teaching is more than a job. Teaching is a lifestyle. Teaching is who I am, not what I do.

Question: Did becoming a teacher change the way you see your past teachers?

Ingram: No, when I became a teacher it did not change the way I saw past teachers. I grew up in a household where both my parents were educators. I knew the ins and outs of education long before I became a teacher.

Question: If you were not a teacher, what do you think you would be doing?

Ingram: If I were not a teacher, I would be in the fitness field or landscaping business.

Question:What extracurricular activities are you involved in?

Ingram: At Center Hill, I am involved in football, power lifting, and the Fellowship of Christian Students. Outside of school, I am involved in the Fellowship of Christian Athletes.

Question: What are you most looking forward to in these involvements this year?

Ingram: I am really looking forward to Power Lifting. Center Hill is starting back a Power Lifting Team this year.  We have our first meet Saturday, January 23 at Lewisburg. I am anxious to see the kids compete after all the hard work they have been putting into the sport.