The student news site of Center Hill High School.

The Pony Express

The Pony Express

The Pony Express

Destiny Thompson named November Student of the Month.

Destiny Thompson was named November Student of the Month.
The Mustang

Question: What was your reaction to being named Student of the Month?

Thompson: I honestly didn’t expect it! I remember being over the moon that Ms. Young got Teacher of the Month, and suddenly my name was called. I simply sat in my desk with a goofy grin while Ms. Stanley and my classmates exclaimed over my newfound status. The teachers without classes would even stick their heads in and congratulate me before Mr. Payne ultimately paid me a visit. I truly couldn’t be more grateful. It was chosen by the teachers, and that just makes me smile every time I think about it.

Question: What are you involved in at Center Hill?

Thompson: I’m editor of Yearbook, Member at Large of Student Council, and Vice President of Interact Club. I’m also a member of National Honor Society, Newspaper Staff, Fellowship of Christian Students, Spanish Club, and Science Club.

Question: What are you involved in outside of school?

Thompson: Because I’m hyperactive at Center Hill, the only two things I participate in outside of school are National Society of High School Scholars and Superintendent Youth Leadership Council, where I represent Center Hill with four other students.

Question: What are you most looking forward to in your clubs this year both in and outside of school?

Thompson: I am really optimistic about the new yearbook staff. It’s a great group whom I know will exceed my expectations at every opportunity. I’m also hoping to set up projects and meetings for NSHSS around our area because we don’t have any near us.

Question: How do you balance all of your involvements?

Thompson: I manage my time well. Over the years, I’ve learned to prioritize. I’m passionate about every club I’m in, so any tasks I’m given are treated with equal amounts of importance. If I dedicate a certain amount of time each night to certain things, I’m compelled to complete it due to my competitive nature.

Question: Who inspires you to work this hard?

Thompson: Ms. Stanley and Mrs. Smith. Sometimes it all becomes really stressful, but Mrs. Smith is there every single time to remind me why I started and how capable I am to finish. Ms. Stanley, however, lowers her expectations for no one, and it pushes me to stay on top of it all no matter the workload. Without their encouraging words and continual belief in me, I wouldn’t be as successful as I am today.

Question: ​Do you have any advice to your fellow classmates?

Thompson: Appreciate these years: they go by faster than you think. I wish I could relive the past 3 years, for they have truly been some of the best years of my life. Respect your teachers: you wouldn’t believe how much they care about you and strive to better your scores as well as person. Always thank them! Get involved: you’ll make so many new friends, and it’s so much more fun than you’d think to give back to the community.