The student news site of Center Hill High School.

The Pony Express

The Pony Express

The Pony Express

Stanley and Jones’s classes visit Oxford to view rare copy of Shakespeare’s ‘1st Folio.’

On Thursday, April 21st 400 years after the death of beloved actor and playwright, William Shakespeare, Mrs. Stanley and Michelle Jones’ classes ventured to Oxford, MS to view one of the 234 known copies of the First Folio.

The First Folio is responsible for publishing 36 of Shakespeare’s plays. At least 18 of these plays, such as Macbeth, Julius Caesar, Taming of the Shrew, and Twelfth Night, may have never been printed if the First Folio did not exist.

Printed in 1623, it is believed that only 750 copies were printed. The Folger Shakespeare Library owns 82 of theses copies, and they brought one to Oxford, MS to set up a display in the Fords Center.

Because of the age of the book, it must be kept under certain conditions such as specific temperature and lighting. After viewing the display, they were shown videos about how the book would have been printed then engaged in a performance by traveling actor, Rebecca M. Jernigan. She performed Lady Macbeth’s sleep walking soliloquy from Macbeth.

After leaving the Ford’s Center the students toured the Powerhouse Art Gallery where local artists submitted works inspired by Shakespeare. Students then enjoyed lunch on the square before returning to school for 4th block.