The student news site of Center Hill High School.

The Pony Express

The Pony Express

The Pony Express

Inside the CHHS cheer team.

We see our cheer team perform at pep rallies and on the side lines of football games, but do any of us know anything other than that?
The Mustang

We see our cheer team perform at pep rallies and on the side lines of football games, but do any of us know anything other than that? This week’s sports article is a glimpse into the cheer team and how they pep the school up and add school spirit to almost every school event.

I had the pleasure of interviewing Hartley Frederic, the cheer coach/sponsor, who explained what our cheer team is all about.

When asked if the team has improved over the years she responded, “Every year the squad improves just by working extremely hard and having the midset to grow individually as well as collectively as a team. Last year, we got 3rd place at state competition and this year we are really aiming for 1st place. With the work ethic the girls have shown this year, I think we have a great shot at winning!”

Just like any other sports team, the girls of the cheer team have daily practices and work extremely hard to reach a goal they’ve set for themselves.

Frederic also bragged on the seniors and how they’ve  become leaders. “All of the seniors are stepping up to the plate in their leadership roles. Cori, Erica, Catarina, and Rachel have really taken it upon themselves to run practice and push the underclassmen to a level which is truly worthy of pride for the Mustangs.”

She didn’t stop with just the seniors either. “We have so many new tricks and harder stunts (with blackflips in the air) that makes the girls push harder outside their comfort zones.

Every girl on the squad is really good at motivating each others’ stunt group and celebrating with each other when they reach their goal and hit the stunt. All in all, they are all great leaders and that is why they are on the squad.”

All the girls of the cheer team deserve a round of applause for all their hard work. If anyone is looking for an opportunity to support the cheer team, their state competition is December 19 in Jackson, MS. Wish them Good Luck!