The student news site of Center Hill High School.

The Pony Express

The Pony Express

The Pony Express

Indoor Winds celebrates inaugural championship season

In+its+inaugural+season%2C+the+CHHS+Indoor+Winds+won+a+state+title.+
Annie Chan
In its inaugural season, the CHHS Indoor Winds won a state title.

A state championship gold medal was the cherry on top of an undefeated season for Center Hill High School’s first ever Indoor Winds group.

“It’s an indoor marching ensemble – marching band on steroids – with a higher demand in music, performance and pageantry,” director Jason Cole said.

The show was called The Cloudmaker’s Fantasy, which Cole said was about dreams. Each movement was a different phase of a dream and included an entrance, a love sequence, a nightmare, and a dream of flying.

The group competed at various contests in the area, including a home competition at Center Hill, a competition at Southaven Middle School, and Colorfest at Houston High School.

“I thought it went very, very well,” Cole said. “There was a tremendous amount of success.”

All of that success led Center Hill Winds to the Mississippi Indoor Association Percussion/Winds Championship, which was April 6-7 in Jackson. This competition was for indoor winds, percussion groups and winterguards. Even though Center Hill Winds was the only group in its division, Cole said he believes the members still earned their champion title.

Because indoor winds is relatively new to the area, there were not many other groups that Center Hill could compete with. Still, sophomore Logan Ross said he was happy with the results and wants to compete again next year.

“I hope we have some more competition, rather than just us,” the tuba player said.

Although indoor winds is similar to marching band, Ross believes that it’s more difficult.

“It’s more expressive,” he said. “You’re not covered out there and there are less of you. It’s challenging stuff.”

Cole has high hopes for next season, and he wants to travel to larger competitions around the country.

“I’m hoping to increase visual and musical demand in order to compete nationally,” the director said. “The ultimate goal is World Championships in Dayton, Ohio.”

Cole said he is excited for next season, no matter where it leads them.

“I can’t wait to do it again and defend our title,” he said.