Making the grade: CHHS, DeSoto County Schools again earn ‘A’ rankings

Desoto County Schools has again been named an “A” school district by the Mississippi Department of Education. Under the current accountability model, DCS is one of nine school districts to earn the highest ranking for three years in a row. Center Hill High School has also been rated an “A” school multiple times.

The MDE released school and district performance grades for the 2017-2018 school year on Oct. 11.

“I am very excited to announce that DeSoto County Schools has received an ‘A’ rating based on test scores from the 2017-2018 school year, and we were one of only 9 school districts in the state to receive this ranking for the last three school years, 2015-16, 2016-17, and 2017-18,” Superintendent Cory Uselton tweeted the day the accountability results were announced. “This is a testament to the commitment and dedication of everyone in our school district, and I want you to feel proud about playing a role in this accomplishment.”

In an email to employees the same day, Uselton said the district’s success is due to teamwork.

“Thank you for all that you do to help our students to succeed at such a high level, and I look forward to seeing how you #RaiseTheBar this school year,” Uselton wrote. “It is definitely a team effort, and I appreciate all of your hard work!”

Staff and administration at CHHS also said the “A” ranking is the result of a combined effort.

“This ranking means that we are a top-rated school in our state,” Assistant Principal Brenda Case said, adding that CHHS has been a top-ranked school since the 2009-2010 school year. “It is a great accomplishment that we have reached due to the hard work of our great staff and students. We are proud of Center Hill, and this ranking is one of the reasons it is great to be a Mustang.”

English II teacher Trudy White said the continued “A” rating is important to everyone involved.

“I’m really proud of the students and teachers who worked hard to maintain that ranking,” she said. “It says that we work hard and shows how hard the teachers and administrators work, and how much the students care about their own future.”

Staff writer Kymoria Mottley contributed to this report.