The student news site of Center Hill High School.

The Pony Express

The Pony Express

The Pony Express

Pony Express reporter Morgan Atkins shares summer learning log.

Morgan Atkins

St. Augustine once said, “The world is a book, and those who do not travel only read a page.” This summer I was blessed to be able to read many chapters of our world. Reading just happens to be one of the best ways to learn. Let me tell you about all the knowledge I acquired this summer.

Hugh O’Brian Leadership Conference (HOBY) in Jackson, MS.

Where you want to be and where you need to be are two very different things. Being a leader means creating and inspiring other leaders. A true leader wants to serve not control. Learn from others’ mistakes and wisdom. Total strangers can become your best friends in a matter of 3 days and continue to be your biggest supporters months later. Performing on a grand piano is a lot easier in front of 200+ people that you have never met is a lot easier than expected. Goodbyes are a lot harder when you know they could be for forever.

Gatlinburg, TN.

Family is way more important than you want to realize. Spend as much time with your family as you can while you can. Take a day to be lazy and relax.

Xtreme Summer in Panama City Beach, FL.

Sunscreen is very important. Strangers give the most sincere compliments. Don’t worry about things you can’t control. Always make sure you have your room key.

National Congress for Future Scientists and Technologists in Boston, MA.

Talk to strangers; they just might teach you something. Push yourself way outside of your comfort zone. Gain as much knowledge as you can about as much stuff as you can. Make the best of every situation. Don’t wait until 1 a.m. to order a pizza. Set multiple alarms if you have to catch a plane. Crying makes TSA especially nice to you. Trust that everything will work out.

New Orleans, LA.

Appreciate history because you will eventually be a part of it. Calories don’t count on vacation. Be compassionate because people need it.

Chicago, IL.

Have patience with children and their parents. Ask locals where to eat. Meteorologists aren’t always wrong. Sing and dance your heart out even if you don’t know all of the words. Take lots of pictures. When faced with difficult decisions, pick the option that you can go to sleep knowing you did the right thing.

If the world is a book, then I can’t wait to finish reading it. Go and explore Center Hill. There is far more knowledge and learning than you can ever fathom outside of the classroom. A life is nothing if you haven’t loved and learned at least a little.