The student news site of Center Hill High School.

The Pony Express

The Pony Express

The Pony Express

Hurricane Hilary wrecks havoc in southern California.

Hurricane Hilary, which eventually turned into a tropical storm, caused heavy rain to fall across most of southern California. The hurricane caused record-breaking rainfall, catching up to a month’s worth of rain in just one hour. Hurricane Hilary wasn’t the only catastrophic event that struck southern California, it also dealt with a 5.1 magnitude earthquake; fortunately, it didn’t result in any significant damage or injuries.

Hilary caused significant flooding; as a result, many rock and mudslides have been reported. California hasn’t had a hurricane in 84 years, but Hillary broke that record, also causing many power outages and major damage to roads.

President Biden has the coast guard, food, water and other supplies on standby. “As soon as Tropical Storm Hilary’s path became clear, my Administration took immediate action to prepare. At my direction, FEMA deployed California federal personnel and supplies that can be surged to impacted communities.”

Many Southern Californians that lived in the city of Riverside were forced to evacuate their homes due to high rainfall reports, ranging from 1.5 to 8.5 inches.

Early Monday morning, Hilary traveled north into Nevada and eastern California. “The storm is the rainiest tropical storm system in Nevada’s history, nearly doubling the state’s 116-year-old all-time record, according to preliminary data from NOAA’s Weather Prediction Center. Hilary has released 9.20 inches of rain on Lee Canyon, Nevada, smashing the previous record of 4.36 inches in 1906.

Hurricane Hilary has caused major problems for different places including coastal cities, Mexico, California, and Nevada. After being left with the devastation of Hilary, victims felt as though they got ‘lucky’, with only one reported death. As those affected are rebuilding their homes, as well as their lives, you can visit the Inland Community Foundation to assist those in Riverside and other cities that were taken by storm by Hurricane Hilary.