The student news site of Center Hill High School.

The Pony Express

The Pony Express

The Pony Express

9 places around the mid-south to visit this fall.

Photo+by+Jeremy+Thomas+on+Unsplash%0A++
Jeremey Thomas
Photo by Jeremy Thomas on Unsplash

Having no idea what to do for fun this fall? Here are nine activities around the mid-south you, your friends, and your family can do!

1. The Mid-South Fair.Since 1856, the Mid-South Fair has consistently been an enjoyable activity for residents of Desoto County to have fun each fall. Like last year, the Mid-South Fair will be hosted at the Landers Center, hosting more than 50 rides and several other acts and activities, like the Miss Mid-South Fair pageant and live music, around the fairgrounds. Serving up fair favorites like funnel cake and turkey legs, several different vendors will be stationed throughout the fair for your family and friends.

Dates: The Mid-South Fair is open from September 22 through October 1, 2023.

Location: You can find the Mid-South Fair at the Landers Center, 4560 Venture Dr, Southaven, MS 38671.

Estimated cost: If you order online before September 22, an adult ticket into the fair will only cost you $10 (ages 13-59), but seniors (ages 60+) and children (ages 5-12) can get their tickets for $5. Afterwards, the prices jump to $15 at the fair or $12 online for adults and $10 at the fair or $7 online for children and seniors. Parking is free before 6 P.M. on weekdays and 4 P.M. on weekends. After those times, the cost for parking will be $5/car. Be sure to bring your wallet with you if you order online, however, because ride and game tickets, along with food and beverages, are sold separately onsite.

Be sure to remember the fair’s clear-bag policy and check the fair’s website for more information.

2. The Mid-South Maze.Another place you can visit this fall is the Mid-South Maze. The mazes are crafted each year to make sure visitors have a fun and challenging experience, and they even add trivia questions. One of the best parts of the maze is the haunted experience that they offer on Friday and Saturday nights in October. It will create a scary and thrilling environment that is sure to make you pee your pants!

Dates & Times: The regular corn maze begins September 15th and is open Thursdays-Sundays until the end of October. The haunted corn maze starts September 30th and, until the end of October, is available Fridays, Saturdays, and Halloween Night from 7-10 P.M.

Location: You can find the Mid-South Maze at 7777 Walnut Grove Rd Memphis, TN 38120.

Estimated cost: An adult corn maze ticket will cost you $12 (ages 12+). A child ticket will cost you $6 (ages 6-12), but the haunted corn maze will cost you $20 for all ages. There are also activities for little kids, so they won’t be left out—like the jumping pillow, which only costs $4.

For more information, check out the maze’s website.

3. Poke WorldMaybe you’re a foodie looking for a new restaurant to try but you have no idea where to go out to eat. Why not try out Poke World?

Poke world is a restaurant specializing in bubble tea, ramen, and poke bowls. The restaurant has an eccentric and unique environment, with striking colorful décor that will let you leave with an amazing experience along with a full belly. Even if you have never tried poke or bubble tea before, Poke World will surprise you with delicious cuisines that you will absolutely love.

Location: You can find the Olive Branch location for Poke World at 5142 Goodman Rd, Olive Branch, MS 38654.

Hours: Sunday-Thursday from 11 A.M. to 9 P.M. and Friday-Saturday from 11 A.M. to 10 P.M..

For more information, check out Poke’s World website.

4. The Memphis Zoo

Looking for a place for the whole family? Check out the Memphis Zoo, home to 3,500 animals and counting. The zoo has dining and special events as well, if you’re interested in booking that.Location: You can find the Memphis Zoo at 2000 Prentiss Pl, Memphis, TN 38112. It is open all year except for Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day.

Estimated cost: An adult ticket will cost you $23 (ages 12-59), and senior tickets cost $22 (60+). A children’s ticket will cost you $18 (ages 2-11), but children under 2 get in for free.

For more information, check out the zoo’s website.

5. Main Event

Need to plan an event, party, or just want to have fun? Well, Main Event is the place for you. From games, escape rooms, mini golfs, multiball, gravity ropes, billiards, to virtual reality, you name it, they will have it.

Location: Main Event is located at 7219 Appling Farms Pkwy, Memphis, TN 38133.Estimated cost: The price varies for each person.

For more information, check out the Main Event’s website.

6. Malco Olive Branch Cinema Grill

Want to watch the latest movies coming out? I’ve got the perfect spot for you; Malco Olive Branch Cinema Grill is filled with movies that just came out or re-released classics to relive the nostalgia.Location: Malco Olive Branch Cinema Grill is located at 6430 Goodman Rd, Olive Branch, MS 38654.

Estimated Cost: The tickets vary from adults, children, and seniors, the day you go, and the movie you pick. You can also reserve a party room.

For more information or to purchase tickets, visit Malco’s website.

7. Skate Odyssey

Furthermore, you can go with your friends to Skate Odyssey of Olive Branch. It’s the perfect place to hang out, rollerblade, or throw a birthday party.Location and Hours: Skate Odyssey of Olive Branch is located at 7417 Hacks Cross Rd, Olive Branch, MS 38654. Their after-school care hours are Monday through Friday from 2 P.M. to 6 P.M..

Estimated Cost: You can reserve days for events. Regular admission costs $13, but renting skates will cost you an extra $5.

For more information or to purchase tickets, visit Skate Odyssey’s website.

8. Mid-South IcehouseAre you more of an ice-skating fan than a rollerblading fan? Then visit the Mid-South Ice House. The Mid-South Ice House is the only National Hockey league (NHL) regulation ice skating arena open year-round in the Greater Memphis Metropolitan Area. They offer ice skating, youth hockey, adult hockey, figure skating, curling, Learn-to-Skate and Learn-to-Play Hockey classes, and other programming year-round.

Location: The Mid-South Ice House is located at 0705 Ridgeway Industrial Dr., Olive Branch, MS 38654.

Estimated Cost: Skate rental is $5, and the admission is $15.00. Children ages 3 and under are $7.00.

For more information, visit their website.

9. Urban Air Adventure ParkLast on the list of places you can visit with your little siblings and your friends is Urban Air Adventure Park. Urban Air Adventure Park is where kids of all ages can explore thrilling attractions, challenge their body and mind.

Location: Urban Air Adventure Park is located at 6680 South Crest Pkwy, Southaven, MS 38671.

Estimated Cost: The price ranges from your age and which ticket you get.