The student news site of Center Hill High School.

The Pony Express

The Pony Express

The Pony Express

Climbing up the Hill; former CHMS teacher Susan Gavrock joins CHHS.

Staphina Jones

Dr. Suzan Gavrock, also known as Dr. G, has recently made the move from teaching at Center Hill Middle to Center Hill High School.

Gavrock has taught biology her entire career. She taught ten years at CHMS, fifteen years in Florida, at the college level nonetheless. She graduated from the University of Memphis and received her masters from Nova Southeastern in Florida. She became a doctor from getting her doctorate totally online from the University of Phoenix.

Gavrock loves her family as much as she loves teaching. Her stepson is a former Mustang and is now twenty years old, working as an airline mechanic. Gavrock used to have horses, goats, and a bull named “No News.” She also is an avid Florida Gators fan and loves to garden.

Staphina Jones

When asked what she liked so far about her new environment, she explained, “I like the environment. It’s a lot more chill. It’s not as much drama, and everyone kind of stays in their own lane. Yet, we come together as a community in all the right ways. The halls are a lot less crowded.”

Sometimes when you look at a teacher, you may wonder why they chose this job. A lot of times, teachers aren’t that sure why they chose the job either. “I don’t know. It’s not like I have a point in my life where I can pinpoint and say I decided to do that…” recalled Gavrock. “I guess I just fell into it, and I’m stuck. I tried to do other stuff and I always come back, so I think this is where I’m supposed to be.” Teaching found Gavrock, and now they’re the best of friends.

Staphina Jones

Gavrock wants to instill resilience in her students. “Just don’t give up. You can be whatever you want to be…It’s not really smarts, it’s determination. Just keep on working at what you want to do and don’t feel like you’re not good enough, because anyone can do anything they want.”

Gavrock is very fond of CHHS and cannot wait to continue her teaching journey!