The student news site of Center Hill High School.

The Pony Express

The Pony Express

The Pony Express

Q&A with decathlete Jaquarius Wilson.

Jaquarius Wilson is a Center Hill alumnus who is currently a junior at Mississippi State University. He participates in the decathlon for the track team, and is currently in the midst of track and field season.

Question: When did you graduate from Center Hill?

Wilson: I graduated in May of 2013

Question: How was your overall high school experience at Center Hill?

Wilson: I really enjoyed it. I could tell that Center Hill was a different kind of school than others in the area. It was like being at an underdog school that had to try hard to fit in. But, it really helped prepare me to be where I am now.

Question: What extracurricular activities and clubs where you involved in while at Center Hill?

Wilson: I played football, played tennis, and I was a track athlete. I was in the National Honor Society, ACT 30+ Club, Mustang TV, Beta Club, DECA Club, and I believe the Spanish Club, but I’m not sure about that one.

Question: How was your experience in track in high school? Any tips for current student athletes at Center Hill?

Wilson: My track experience in High School was fun! I only competed a few seasons, but the memories I made during track, I still carry with me today. And, I would say to the student athletes to always give your best and do what’s right, because you never know who may be watching or what opportunities are ahead!

Question: What events do you run in track at Mississippi State?

Wilson: I’m a decathlete, so I do the Decathlon, which is 10 events. These events are the 100 Meter Dash, Long Jump, Shot Put, High Jump, 400 Meter Dash, 110 Meter Hurdles, Discuss, Pole Vault, Javelin, and the 1500 Meters.

Question: How has this Track and Field Season been for you and your fellow team mates at MSU?

Wilson: This season is going well. I have been improving my times and distances as the season has progressed. We have some top performances in the country on both the men and women side. And, this past week, both teams are ranked in the top 25.

Question: That’s amazing, congratulations! What are some of the ways you and the rest of the team stay fit and ready to compete?

Wilson: Thank you! And, well, we pretty much run just about every day lol. We run workouts on the track, we work out in the weight room, and spend a lot of time in the training room to do rehab such as heating, icing, and stretching to help our bodies recover and to prevent injuries.

Question: Thank you so much for the interview! Good luck on the rest of the season!

Wilson: Thanks Stephen, glad to be selected!