The student news site of Center Hill High School.

The Pony Express

The Pony Express

The Pony Express

Soccer coaches optimistic for season after New Albany opener.

The Mustang
​Preseason for soccer is over, and the first home soccer game was played on November 13th against New Albany.

Even though the girl’s soccer team lost 2-1, girls soccer coach David Burgess’ outlook for the season is positive.

During a practice he stated, “We have the strongest team ever this year, and I think we are capable of doing well. We have to get in the mindset of winning from this moment. We can’t just turn it on the day we play and act like everything is okay. We have to start thinking that now. There’s a reason why our shirts say ‘Every game is war.’”

The motto was observed during the New Albany game where the girls were down 2-0 in the first half. The girls came out fighting in the second half-Mackenzie Fennel scored with an assist from Caitlin Barnes. Great playing was not enough and the team starts the season with a loss.

Boys soccer coach Andrew Yeoman is very optimistic about the season. He strongly believes that this is going to be a great year for the boy’s soccer team.  The soccer team who plays in the 5A North district will have to contend with Lewisburg, Oxford, New Hope, and Saltillo. Yeoman stated, “Our goals for this year are the same as any other year.  We want to win our division first then make a run at a state title in the playoffs.”

The team is well prepared for the season. They started training for this season in May, and Yeoman stated that the boys have all put in a lot of hard work to raise their level of play to where it is now.

Coach is expecting the seniors to lead the team especially midfielder Hector Mendoza, forward Courtney Moore, right back Will Randolph, and goalkeeper Andrew Roux.  In addition, Yeoman anticipates his two juniors winger Hayden Hamilton and center back Marshall Gaines to contribute strongly to the team.

The boy’s team was victorious against New Albany. Goals by Eduardo Valenzuela, Courtney Moore, and Carson Renfrow and great goalie saves by Andrew Roux helped the team beat New Albany 3-2.

“We can not wait to represent Center Hill High School on the field,” Yeoman asserted and noted that there are seven home games this year.

The team looks forward to seeing students and faculty come out to watch the soccer team play. The next two home games are December 1 against Horn Lake and December 5 against Olive Branch.