The student news site of Center Hill High School.

The Pony Express

The Pony Express

The Pony Express

Review: Melanie Martinez’s “Cry Baby” takes leap of faith with storybook album.

Cry Baby is the cinematic concept debut album by former The Voice contestant, Melanie Martinez. Martinez takes a unique leap of faith by creating an album as a storybook starring the eponymous main character, Cry Baby.

The album emphasizes Martinez’s eerie style by pairing darker lyrics about today’s society with electric, almost cookie cutter pop beats. Martinez is unapologetic and unfiltered as she gives the listeners her perspective on today’s world using Crybaby’s stories as her medium.

A wonderful example of her originality on the takes of society is the track “Mrs. Potato Head.” Here Martinez examines society’s beauty standards with lines such as “Does a new face come with a warranty…Do you swear you’ll stay forever, even if her face don’t stay together?”

Martinez continues her storybook theme with the single “Dollhouse” which takes a look inside what seems to be a trophy American family. Through this song, Martinez expresses how the imperfections of the family go unnoticed to many despite the issues of this so-called “All American” family.

A personal favorite from this ground breaking compilation is the single, “Soap.” It compares the regret of a professed loved with the punishment for using foul words.

I give Cry Baby 7/10. I highly recommended this album to fans of Marina and the Diamonds, Halsey, and Lana Del Rey.