The student news site of Center Hill High School.

The Pony Express

The Pony Express

The Pony Express

Breakfast, rest among test-taking tips.

With state testing in a variety of subjects already beginning, and exams right around the corner, everyone has some testing that they will take part in before summer break. Here are some common, and some less common, test-taking strategies.

1. A good night’s rest: As cliché as it might sound, how much sleep you get actually does affect your test scores. It is recommended that a high school student gets 7-10 hours of sleep in order to be successful. Falling asleep during a test will cause you to lose your focus, and waste time.
  2. A great breakfast: Although you should eat breakfast every day, it is even more essential to have a good meal before a big test. Proteins like eggs or bacon are great foods to eat before a test. Try to avoid foods that are high in carbs or sugar, these foods will make you crash during the test.
  3. A quick workout: Exercise before the test if possible. Studies have shown that short, simple work outs have improved test scores. This could be as simple as running around the block or doing some jumping jacks. Exercise helps the blood move around your body, which helps you think and have more energy.
  4. Take small breaks: Taking quick, 1-2 minute breaks during a test is beneficial. Doing a few stretches or breathing exercises helps you reset your mind and focus easier. If the test is on the computer, look away from the screen for a few seconds. This will help your eyes to not hurt, and to not get a headache. If the test is timed, be careful to manage your break time, so you do not rush the actual test.
  5. During the test: Dress comfortably, your tightest skinny jeans will not feel good after sitting down for a few hours. Bring a jacket if you think you will get cold, or wear short sleeves if you will get hot. Some studies have also shown that mint flavored gum or candy also improves memory and concentration. Make sure that you are prepared. Bring two sharpened pencils with erasers as well as personal items like tissues or lip balm, if necessary.

As stressful as testing can be, preparation is key. When you are prepared, you will not panic when the test begins, and you will be more comfortable and relaxed.