The student news site of Center Hill High School.

The Pony Express

The Pony Express

The Pony Express

Three from tennis team advance to state

Sophia+Webb+will+compete+at+state+with+her+mixed+doubles+partner%2C+JD+Wilson-Harmon.+
Annie Chan
Sophia Webb will compete at state with her mixed doubles partner, JD Wilson-Harmon.

A trio of tennis players from Center Hill High School is headed to the state tournament.

“All my players are equally valuable, but three individuals are making it to state this year,” tennis coach Gayla Arvin said.

Mikaila Coleman, a sophomore who plays singles, has won every match this year, Arvin said.

“She is the district champion for Girls Singles and will be competing at the state tennis tournament May 7-9 in Jackson,” Arvin said.

Also headed to state are J.D. Wilson-Harmon and Sophia Webb, the district champions for mixed doubles.

Wilson-Harmon, junior, has played tennis for about five years.

“I love it and I’m good at it,” he said. “It’s fun.”

Sophia Webb, who has played tennis for two years, is Wilson-Harmon’s mixed doubles partner.

“It’s fun and is a way to get out onto the court with one other person and work together to achieve a goal,” Webb said. “After me and J.D. started working together, we beat Lewisburg. After we beat Olive Branch and Lewisburg, it felt good to have a district champions title.”

During the season, which runs from January to May, Arvin said the players have the opportunity to develop their tennis skills.

“This year, I felt my team did an outstanding job of implementing the strategies,” she said. “The players who implemented these strategies found out they were more aggressive than they thought they were and that strategies helped them win points, sets and matches. The team also found out that implementing those strategies made the game of tennis even more fun.”

Arvin said her players are also responsible for learning the rules of tennis.

“They have to learn the rules and etiquette because they have to manage and officiate their own court,” she said. “There are no referees or umpires.”

Tennis tryouts for next year will be May 21-22.