Center Hill cheer team reaching new heights

Emily Merz

The CHHS Cheer Team, shown practicing in October, earned the title of Regional Champions at the Mid-South Regional cheer competition. The team also earned a bid to the National High School Cheerleading Championship in February.

5! 6! 5! 6! 7! 8!

The Center Hill High School cheer team is working hard to be the best they can be.

“I am not sure people realize how much work it is to cheer,” sponsor Kristie Cohea said. “We have cheered at every varsity game with exception of West Point. We will cheer all home basketball games (girls and boys) and away in district, all while preparing for competition season as well.”

This year is the first time the high school has competed in the Mid-South Regional cheer competition. The team earned the title of Regional Champions and a bid to the National High School Cheerleading Championship in February.

“We have worked a lot harder this year,” said Cameron Fuell, one of five seniors on the cheer team.

Cohea said she is very proud of the girls, especially the seniors. In addition to Fuell, other seniors are Madyson Durand, Jessica Gibson, Camaryn McClelland and Sherrice Wright.

“We are so proud of their leadership, unity and lots of possibility to cheer at the next level,” Cohea said, adding that she hopes that they will be able to continue cheer after high school on college teams.

On the topic of this year’s freshmen, Cohea said she is impressed.

“These ladies have worked really hard to advance and are doing great,” she said.

Cohea said the school can support the cheerleaders in a simple way.

“Cheer with us during games and pep rallies, really just get involved with us,” she said. “It is hard to cheer when no one wants to join in.”