Interact Club all about service above self

Tanika Kounhavong

Members of Interact react to a comment made by co-sponsor Toni Coleman at the club’s Sept. 28 meeting.

The motto of the Center Hill High School Interact Club is “Service Above Self,” which has proven true because the club revolves around helping people in the community. Their projects are all designed solely for the happiness of others.

“We don’t expect anything in return when we help others,” said Caley Paulino, the vice president of Interact and a member since her freshman year. “We do it out of the kindness in our hearts.”

Carter Brooks has also been a member since ninth grade. He is the social media representative for Interact.

“I have always loved helping people out and just trying to make everyone have an enjoyable time in life no matter their circumstances,” Brooks said. “I really enjoy Interact because it gives me opportunities to help out the community.”

Alisha Green, who co-sponsors Interact along with Toni Coleman, said upcoming events for the club include assisting Habitat for Humanity with the construction of one of their houses in November and hosting the winter dance. She said Interact also hopes to partner with National Honor Society to host a Color Run to raise money for Autism Awareness.

“I’m looking forward to future events,” said Adriana Love, a freshman in Interact.

In addition to helping the community, Interact can also change the way people view teenagers, Green said.

“Everyone thinks teenagers are self-absorbed and selfish, but I know for a fact that isn’t true,” she said. “By providing an opportunity for our students to get involved and show that our motto, ‘Service Above Self’ applies to all ages, we can change that preconceived notion of young adults.”