The student news site of Center Hill High School.

The Pony Express

The Pony Express

The Pony Express

Center Hill wins Battle of the Branch.

On Sept. 23, the Center Hill Mustangs overpowered the Lewisburg Patriots in the first annual Battle of the Branch game with a score of 43-7.

“Any time you win a football game, it is based on a great team effort,” defensive line coach Kurt Pinnix said. “The defense came out early and set the tone for the entire game.”

Pinnix said the team as a whole is coming closer and closer to their full potential.

“There are always steps that can be taken to improve as a group, and we hope to keep making strides as we hit the toughest part of the season,” he said.

Defeating Lewisburg felt good, defensive coach Case Ingram said.

“A win always feels good, but to beat a rival is different,” he said. “To beat a rival puts a smile on your face all year. I firmly believe that this win is a huge step for our team.”

With such a dominating win, Ingram said it would be difficult to pick just one influential player. Senior safety Bryce Evans, however, had six tackles and an interception returned 96 rushing yards for a touchdown.

“I saw the QB getting ready to pass, and I just knew I could get it,” Evans said. “It just fell into my arms and I ran.”

Evans said he and his teammates were focused and ready for Lewisburg.

“We felt good,” he said. “We were playing as a team, and I feel like everyone was happy and just getting after it. They are our biggest rival.”

Evans said the Mustangs defense was ready for New Hope.

“We have to be ready defensively, because New Hope has a lot of good receivers,” he said. “We have to stick with it and play as a team.”